Dawn Bonfield MBE
Dawn Bonfield MBE, Director, Towards Vision
She is Royal Academy of Engineering Visiting Professor of Inclusive Engineering at Aston University, and Founder & Director of Towards Vision, a Company which aims to work towards a vision of diversity and inclusion in engineering. She is a Past President and former Chief Executive of the Women’s Engineering Society (WES).
She is a materials engineer by profession having studied Materials Science at Bath University. During Dawn’s career, she has worked as a materials engineer at AERE Harwell, Citroen Research Centre (Paris), British Aerospace (Bristol), MBDA (Stevenage), and the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (London). She is a Chartered Engineer, a European Engineer and Fellow of ICE (Institution of Civil Engineers), IOM3 (Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining) and WES (Women’s Engineering Society), and an Honorary Fellow of the Institution of Structural Engineers.Dawn is the founder of National Women in Engineering Day (now International Women in Engineering Day) and in 2015 won a WISE Award and an Association Congress Award for this campaign. In February 2016 she won the SEMTA award for Diversity in Engineering. During her time at WES she was the founder of the inaugural 50 Women in Engineering List with the Daily Telegraph, the Magnificent Women schools outreach project, and the Sparxx project to support students in CRESTA (Creativity, Engineering, Science, Technology and Art). Dawn is very proud to be one of the Patrons of Alton Convent School at Alton, Hampshire.
She was a finalist of the 2016 GEDC Airbus Global Diversity Award, and received an MBE in 2016 for ‘Services to the promotion of diversity in engineering’. In 2017 she won the Women’s Business Council STEM ‘Starting Out’ award. She is a member of other groups including:
- T level panel member: Design, Development and Control
- Member of Women in Materials Committee of Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining
- Member of the DfE Technical Education Inclusivity Working Group
- Member of the Visiting Professors’ Management Group
- Member of the Royal Academy of Engineering Diversity and Inclusion Leadership Group on Measurement
- Member of the Women’s Business Council STEM Starting Out Subgroup
- Member of Bath University Court
- Patron at Alton Convent School, Hampshire
- External Athena Swan Advisory Group Member, City University